Tuesday, January 14, 2014

2013 Christmas Devotional


I loved Elder Russell M. Nelson's talk, "Jesus Christ - Our Prince of Peace". One of my favorite scriptures is Philippians 4:7,

And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

I have felt that peace so many times through the gift of the Comforter. Elder Nelson tied it all together. Christ is "the PRINCE OF PEACE" (Isaiah 9:6). He laid down his life so that He could leave the Comforter with us, else the Comforter would not come unto us. Christ tells us in John 16:7,

It is expedient for you that I go away; for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

The Comforter, i.e., the gift of the Holy Ghost, was not given until after Christ's ascension into heaven. Christ said speaking of the Comforter,

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid (John 14:27). 

I have peace knowing I can be cleansed of my sins and weaknesses, which are many. I have peace knowing the Comforter will bring us peace during times of trial, which I have experienced many. I have peace knowing the end of this life is the beginning of eternity, and we can be together as a family forever. I know that Christ is truly the Prince of Peace.

What a delightful surprise from my daughter, Kelly, who sent us a beautiful set of ornaments of all the names of Christ, but most especially:

No comments:

Post a Comment